Jonathan R. Goff, M.D.
Dr. Goff is board certified orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in shoulder surgery and sports medicine. He received his Bachelor of Arts from Colgate University in 1992, majoring in economics. After graduation, he worked as a professional ski instructor in Crested Butte, Colorado. He then traveled to Johannesburg, South Africa, where he taught high school mathematics and athletics at St. Barnabas College. Upon returning to the United States, Dr. Goff began his career in medicine working as a researcher for the Department of Neurosurgery at Georgetown University School of Medicine. He completed his M.D. at Georgetown in 2001.
During his orthopaedic surgery residency at the University of Virginia, in Charlottesville, Dr. Goff was selected to be the Harvard Intercontinental Shoulder Fellow. The fellowship consisted of six months under the mentorship of Dr. Jon JP Warner, Dr. Tom Holovacs, and Dr. Laurence D. Higgins at Massachusetts General Hospital and the Brigham and Womenís Hospital in Boston. The second 6 months of the fellowship was spent in Switzerland, at the University of Zurich, Balgrist, under the mentorship of Professor Christian Gerber. The Intercontinental Shoulder Fellowship provided Dr. Goff with the opportunity to travel extensively throughout Europe and work with several master shoulder surgeons including Dr. Gilles Walch in Lyon, France and Dr. Laurent Lafosse in Annecy, France.
Dr. Goff has an advanced knowledge and training in all aspects of shoulder surgery. His interests include the entire spectrum of pathologies of the shoulder. He specializes in major reconstruction procedures of the shoulder including total shoulder replacement, arthroscopic rotator cuff repair, instability procedures, fracture repair, and revision surgery.
Dr. Goff lives in Marin County with his family and enjoys both mountain and road biking. He is a team physician for the United States Ski Team working with both the Menís Alpine Team and the Combined Freestyle Team.
- B.A. Economics. Colgate University, Hamilton, New York, 1992.
- M.D. Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC, 2001.
Residency:University of Virginia Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Charlottesville, Virgina. Completed 2006.
- Harvard Intercontinental Shoulder Fellow. Completed 2007.
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Zurich University, Balgrist, Switzerland.
- State of California
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Commonwealth of Virginia
Board Status:Board Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Societies:Candidate Member of American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Goff JR, Burkey AR, Goff DJ, Jasmin L. Reorganization of the Spinal Dorsal Horn in Models of Chronic Pain: Correlation with Behavior. Neuroscience 1998.
- Goff JR, Jasmin L. Plasticity in the Dorsal Horn Following Neuropathic Injury and Inflammation. Society for Neruoscience Abstract. 26th Annual Meeting 1996.
- Jasmin L, Kohan L, Franssen M, Janni G, Goff JR. The cold plate as a test Of chronic neuropathic and inflammatory pain models. Pain 1998.
- Goff JR, Favre P, Gerber, C, Snedeker J. Assessing Primary In - Vitro Stability of Glenoid Components in Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty. (Submitted for publication)
- Goff JR, Jarjour WN, Chhabra AB. Psoriatic arthritis in the hand following trauma: a case report. (In preparation)
CURRENT RESEARCH INTEREST
- Determining sensitivity of magnetic resonance imaging in detection of rotator cuff tears in a cadaveric model.
- Investigating initial base plate stability in the reverse/inverse total shoulder arthroplasty prosthesis.
- Correlating clinical findings of partial thickness rotator cuff tears with magnetic resonance image.
INTEREST AND HOBBIES
- Scuba Diver
- Technical Divers International: Certified Extended Range and Advanced Nitrox
- National Association for Cave Diving: Certified Full Cave
- PADI: Certified Rescue Diver
- Mountain and Road Biking